Palácio dos Estados
RIO Acoustics 2017 will be hosted in the building of the Brazilian Geological Survey - CPRM . The construction of this classical building started in 1880, by the Baron Homem de Mello, by that time, Minister of the Empire, to host the Curatorium of the Faculty of Medicine. Due to the lack of resources the construction of the building crawled until the beginning of the Republic in 1908, when the building was chosen to host one of the pavilions of the exhibition commemorating the centenary of the Opening of the Ports to Friendly Nations. The Opening of the Ports to Friendly Nations was a decree issued by Prince Regent Dom João in 1808, issuing that goods exported from and imported to Brazil, no longer needed the mediation of Portugal.
The Exhibition, which took place between January 28 and November 15, 1908, was intended to draw an inventory of the country. Had as main objective to demonstrate the country’s wealth in the beginning of the century, when Rio de Janeiro was undergoing significant social, cultural and urban transformations. The exhibition was conceived in accordance with the concept of the universal exhibitions that marked the urban and technological advancement of the great European centers.
The 20 pavilions built for the exhibition presented a mixture of architectural styles and were subsequently demolished. Only two buildings survived: the Pavilion of Machines, now occupied by the Theatre School of UniRio, and the Palace of the States, chosen, in November 1909, one year after the National Exhibition, to host the Geological and Mineralogical Service, current CPRM.
Today it houses, besides several technical areas of the Brazilian Geological Survey, the Museum of Earth Sciences of the National Department of Mineral Production. The museum consists of a collection of rocks, minerals and meteorites, widely used by students, serving for the identification of many minerals and their varieties, forming the basis for the numerous scientific articles and publication.
Coexist with the austere neoclassical design of the façade, the terrace and stairs built with augen gneiss (the same stone from the mountains surrounding the city of Rio de Janeiro), where eagles and lions modeled in concrete add drama to the design. Due to its historical and architectural significance, the building was listed as Cultural Heritage by the City of Rio de Janeiro on 11/10/94.